You can not believe how many problems Kent has seen over the years as a result of the camshaft oiler tube falling off inside the valve cover! It is held on by inexpensive small plastic clips and guess what happens after 15 to 20 years? Yes, that is correct. The plastic shrinks and hardens with age and heat and they can no longer hold the tube to the cam bearing towers.
Get it for Free! This is available as a free add-on item. Review the product details for bundle options.
If you just acquire any Mercedes V8 ( 6.3 excluded) from 1969 to 1991 you should immediately remove the valve covers and inspect these clips. Applies to all M116 3.5, 3.8, and 4.2 liter V8 engines from 1969 to 1991 350, 380, and 420 models. All M117 4.5, 5.0, and 5.6 liter V8 engines from 1971 to 1991 450, 500, and 560 models. If you are going to do that, you should just go ahead and get the gaskets and clips on hand and do it right! These clips should be changed every 10 years at the maximum! This video is included free of charge when you purchase out V8 oiler tube clip repair kit. See related products below:
The video contains the following information
- Valve cover removal SAFELY
- Protecting the engine with the valve covers removed
- Removing the oil tubes from the engine
- Removing the old hardened and stuck clips from the tube
- Choosing the right clips ( 1970's V8 engines only)
- Installing the new clips on the tube and aligning properly
- Installing the tubes back on the engine without losing or breaking the new clips
- Cleaning the valve covers
- Checking for warped valve covers
- Cleaning the cylinder head seating surfaces
- Installing the new gaskets on the valve cover
- Installing the valve covers on the engine
- Replacing the copper sealing washers
- Proper bolt tightening sequence using a torque wrench
TOTAL RUNTIME: 25:38
How to view this on-demand video:
Once you complete the purchase of this video you will be able to view it immediately when you are logged in and on your personal account page (click on My Account). The video(s) will show up under My Video Manuals. The video is NOT downloadable to your computer or mobile device, but you will be able to view it anytime, from anywhere and from any device as long as you have internet access and you are logged in to your account at mercedessource.com.
Important note: This video manual may or may not include all the information you will need to troubleshoot and/or repair your specific problem/s. Please read the full description carefully to determine if this video is applicable to your year and model and contains the information you are looking for. If not, please refer back to our "Solutions Finder" and enter your chassis number and the specific problem you are having to see if we offer a solution.