Many owners neglect replacing the engine coolant thermostat. It just slowly wears out over time. If you notice your engine temperature running low or you car taking a long time to heat up inside these are the first signs your thermostat has failed.
Do not neglect replacement. If you keep running with a cold engine it will increase engine wear and lower performance. It is a cheap part and some you can do yourself with a few standard metric hand tools.
The video covers the following:
- Thermostat function and importance
- Location of thermostat
- Draining coolant out of the radiator
- Safely removing the thermostat housing bolts
- Removing a stuck radiator hose
- Clamping the hose to minimize spills
- Removing the housing cover
- Tricks to removing “stuck” thermostats without damaging the housing
- Cleaning the housing and cover before installing new thermostat
- Orientation of thermostat and new sealing ring
- Preparing the bolts to prevent future seizure
- Preventing dropping the bolts down into the engine
- Replacing the cover and tightening bolts properly
- Refilling the tank reservoir with coolant
- Bleeding air out of the hoses
- Checking the reservoir cap
- Precautions when you finish the job
- Saving $$$ doing it yourself
This video was filmed replacing a thermostat on a W124 1992 300CE coupe. Principles directly apply the inline 6 engines from 1986 to 1993, but indirectly apply to almost all Mercedes engines.
Total Run Time 15:25
How to view this on-demand video:
Once you complete the purchase of this video you will be able to view it immediately when you are logged in and on your personal account page (click on My Account). The video(s) will show up under My Video Manuals. The video is NOT downloadable to your computer or mobile device, but you will be able to view it anytime, from anywhere and from any device as long as you have internet access and you are logged in to your account at mercedessource.com.
Important note: This video manual may or may not include all the information you will need to troubleshoot and/or repair your specific problem/s. Please read the full description carefully to determine if this video is applicable to your year and model and contains the information you are looking for. If not, please refer back to our "Solutions Finder" and enter your chassis number and the specific problem you are having to see if we offer a solution.